Playing late at night, I often find myself wanting to stay awake – the group is good and/or so is the XP, need to recover a corpse, in the middle of an LDON, et cetera. Some of the things I do to stay awake :
1) Stand up. Simple and often effective.
2) Caffeine. But with my high tolerance this is barely helpful.
3) Eat something. Somehow swallowing food gives you an extra energy burst.
4) Need to grab water/food ? Run through the house to retrieve it, and feel the adrenaline hit you.
5) Open a window (if it’s cold out), and wear a sweater.
6) Shake your head like a dog. Yes, it’s dumb, but it does help.
7) Sleepy during downtime? Have your character do *anything*, like dwarf jumping or killing greens.
It’s the MMORPG part of the game; can only play when others are playing with you. Can’t just save and quit, so you have to choose sleepy play at times.